19 Exceptional Asian Americans will be recognized by Asian American Engineer of the Year Award on March 3, 2012 in Albuquerque, New Mexico
From: 2012 AAEOY Executive Committee
Albuquerque, NM (February 18 , 2012) - Representing Chinese Institute of Engineers - USA (CIE-USA), the 2012 AAEOY Executive Committee, a special working team under the CIE New Mexico chapter, is honored to host the Eleventh Asian American Engineer of the Year (AAEOY) Award ceremony on Saturday, March 3, 2012 at the Albuquerque Marriott Hotel in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The AAEOY Award is given to outstanding American scientists, engineers and corporate leaders with Asian ethnicity in recognition of their exceptional contributions in their fields of expertise and to the communities.
The AAEOY Award also celebrates the achievements of Asian Americans of global stature and influence with "Distinguished Awards" for those who serve as role models and a source of inspiration for Asian American engineers and scientists. This year we have two recipients for the Distinguished Awards.
The 2012 Lifetime Achievement Award recipient is Dr. Alice S. Huang of California Institute of Technology for her original discoveries in virology; prominent leadership in medicine, science, education and professional societies; and the advocacy for women and minorities in science. Dr. Venkatesh "Venky" Narayanamurti of Harvard University will receive the 2012 Distinguished Science & Technology Award for developing and advancing the field of phonon optics and nanostructured semiconductor as well as his visionary leadership, mentoring and entrepreneurial spirit in science & technology.
The 2012 AAEOY Annual Awards consist of two award categories: Asian American Executive of the Year Award and Asian American Engineer of the Year Award.
The recipients of the 2012 Asian American Executive of the Year Award are:
- Ms. Iris Fujiura Bombelyn, Vice President, Manufacturing of Space Systems, Lockheed Martin Corporation
- Mr. Liem W. Vu, Senior Manager, Boeing Defense, Space & Security, The Boeing Company
The recipients of the 2012 Asian American Engineer of the Year Award are:
- Dr. Ruth C. Cheng, Research Computer Scientist, Engineering Research and Development Center, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- Dr. Hongyou Fan, Principal Member of Technical Staff, Sandia National Laboratories
- Mr. Dilip S. Gokhale, Lockheed Martin Fellow, Information Systems and Global Solutions, Lockheed Martin
- Dr. Linda M. Hihara-Endo, Senior Planner/Civil Engineer, Civil Works Integration Division, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- Mr. Jae-Yoo Ko, Deputy Assistant Program Manager for Construction, Naval Sea Systems Command, Department of the Navy
- Mr. Tommy Lam, Qualified Architect and Senior Staff Engineer
- Dr. Ming Lau, Senior Manager, Senior Manager, Sandia National Laboratories
- Dr. Wai Lee, Chief Technologist of TI Fellow, Texas Instruments
- Mr. Allen G. Lim, Principal Assistant Program Manager, Naval Sea Systems Command, Department of the Navy
- Ms. Kathy Moon, Chief Architect - Strategic Planning and Enterprise Standards, Northrop Grumman
- Dr. Parthasarathy Ramanujam, Senior Technical Fellow, Boeing Defense, Space & Security, The Boeing Company
- Dr. Rekha R. Rao, Principal Member of Technical Staff, Sandia National Laboratories
- Mr. Chung-Lung Kevin Shum, Senior Technical Staff Member, IBM Corporation
- Dr. Tony Y. Torng, Technical Fellow/System Engineer, Boeing Defense, Space & Security, The Boeing Company
- Dr. Dongming Zhu, Materials Research Engineer, NASA Glenn Research Center
Photographs, Citation of Accomplishments and biographies of all Awardees can be found through: http://2012.aaeoy.org/awardees.html.
Dr. Paul Hommert, the president of Sandia Corporation and Director of Sandia National Laboratories, is the keynote speaker at this year's award banquet. Dr Hommert will share his insightful view with a speech title "Solving Global Challenges through Science and Engineering."
In conjunction with this award event, there will be a special technical seminar in the morning of March 3, 2012 at the Albuquerque Marriott Hotel. Dr. Jeff Brinker, Sandia National Laboratories Fellow and Distinguished and Regent's Professor of University of New Mexico will speak on "Nanotechnology for cancer treatment: A new frontier for materials science research" concerning cancer treatment using nanotechnologies for targeted drug delivery. After the technical seminar, representatives from our sponsors and participants will showcase their company/organization and discuss career opportunities.
This historical 11th AAEOY event has received strong corporate sponsorship from the major companies around the country and they are:
- The Boeing Company
- Lockheed Martin
- Sandia National Laboratories
- NASA Glenn Research
- Northrop Grumman
- Texas Instruments
2012 AAEOY also received direct support from the following Supporters:
- Corning Incorporated
- Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute
- National Auto Parts USA
Wide community participation is achieved through partnership with local community and scientific organizations.
- Albuquerque Lodge of the Chinese American Citizen Alliance
- Asian American Association of New Mexico
- Chinese Culture Center
- Explora Science Center and Children's Museum of Albuquerque
- National Museum of Nuclear Science and History
- New Mexico Academy of Science
- New Mexico Chinese Association
- New Mexico Chinese School of Languages and Arts
- New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science
It is expected 400 plus distinguished guests, honorees, corporate executives and community leaders will attend the event.
For more Information contact:
I-Ming Chen, Secretary of the 2012 AAEOY Executive Committee
(505)250-3488 or firstname.lastname@example.org